Friday, September 17, 2010

Just Between Friends

Technorati Tags:

Last night, I took my annual turn in line at the Just Between Friends sale (and when I say “line” I do mean the 70 minutes I spent waiting to pay—totally worth it).  For those of you who have not heard of this, it is basically the biggest child-centered yard sale you could ever imagine.  It is actually amazing to see.  Ours was held in a huge arena and there were stations or areas designated for everything baby/child-related that you could imagine.  From strollers, to toys, beds, bedding, shoes, books, and of course- Clothes!!  Oh, the clothes!  They seem to go on for miles and are marked at prices a fraction of their original cost.  They are also all in very good condition and much of it is expensive brands.  I pretty much bought our toddler’s entire fall/winter wardrobe last night for $89. 

As a school district employee, I got to attend the night before the actual start of the sale (along with first time mommies and volunteers).  On Saturday, everything will be marked 1/2 off.

I bought:

13  pairs of pants

6 tops

1 jacket

1 heavy coat

1 sweater long john (Gap brand, perfect condition, $5.50, and will make the grandparents drool)

1 dress

4 onsies

4 pairs of colored bloomers for next summer

1 halloween costume

I love, love gently used baby clothing because they grow out of their clothes so quickly and they are hard on clothes (or the baby is messy and my scrubbing and soaking is hard on the clothing).

In general, I have been really into consignment or used clothing because of these reasons and also because it allows me to re-use something that has already been produced and at the same time, keeps me from “demanding” brand new items.

I suppose some people could talk about how demanding new items keeps people in jobs, but this is just the way I see it and how it makes me feel.

And as a rule, I think used/consignment clothing is awesome!

If you are interested in JBF- check out their website and see if your area/town is listed for a sale.  If it is not, I think there may be a way to start one.

DSC00791

DSC00790

No comments:

Post a Comment