Friday, September 17, 2010

Oh Austin, Why so Awesome?

As I say this, I sigh wistfully.  I really am in awe of how so many people of like mind to me can live in one concentrated place.  A recent trip was indeed, lots of fun, but at the same time made me feel a little sad for what I am missing here in West Texas.  Everything that comes so easily (seemingly at least) in Austin, seems to take so much effort here. 

Fabulous Farmer's Markets, teeming with produce and volunteers (!!)- DONE.

Fantastic grocery stores with delicious organic food, 5 aisles of bulk bins, complementary (flavored) coffee samples, the best soups on the planet, and free family-friendly live music (with a dancing area so kids can go nuts)- DOUBLE DONE!!

Millions of gravel (better for my knees) trails for riding or jogging- DONE.

Cafes, microbreweries, wineries, vegetarian restaurants- DONE.

Frontyard, backyard, community, and shared gardening- Hello, Done!

Everything else in between- Surely Done.

It is pretty easy to live “green” or “righteously” in Austin when they all but spoon feed it to you.  But here in West Texas?  Nope, we must work for it.  While I’m proud of the few of us here that try to live more consciously, I can’t help but feel a little jealous of how easy others have it. 

Anyone else ever feel like you are swimming against the current?

No comments:

Post a Comment